TRIWA x SKULTUNA III

 

This is the third part of our collaboration with Skultuna Brass Foundry, founded 1607. Designed to display time far beyond the dial. Made with raw brass, developing a unique patina over time. Featuring a navy blue colored dial set in a brass case with a transparent mineral glass back plate that literally lets you see time pass inside the automatic movement. The watch is powered by a quality automatic movement from Miyota and it is limited to 400 pieces. Each model is numbered 1 through 400, to designate the order in which each watch was produced.

 

BRASS

Brass is a metal alloy made of copper and zinc that will get a nice patina. You can either embrace the patina or, like a trusted old friend, give it a little polishing and it will come back as a shiny companion. Use a mild metal polish and a soft cloth. 

AUTOMATIC MOVEMENT

This watch is powered by a high quality automatic movement from Japanese movement manufacturer Citizen Miyota. It is powered by manually winding it by the crown or an oscillating movement of its weighted rotor. The movement runs at 28 800 vibrations per hour with a power reserve of 42 hours.

ABOUT SKULTUNA

Skultuna was founded in the year 1607 by King Karl IX of Sweden as a brass foundry. Today Skultuna is one of the oldest companies in the world and it is still a purveyor to the Royal Court of Sweden.

FOUR CENTURIES IN THE SAME PLACE

The year was 1607, and King Karl IX could at last implement his long held plans for a Swedish brass industry. During the time of Gustav Wasa and Erik XIV, Sweden had become indebted to the Hanseatic League. Refining copper into brass would reduce imports of brass and increase income from exports. The King had a man sent off on the Crown's business to find a suitable location for a brass foundry, the choice fell on Skultuna, where the Svartån brook provided sufficient water power. Charcoal was available here as well and the copper mine at Falun was also close.

Today, over four centuries later, the company still resides in the very same place in Skultuna. The first master braziers were called here from the brass foundries in Germany and the Netherlands, they also brought the technique on how to make large brass objects like chandeliers. The oldest known chandelier is in the Church of Our Lady in Enköping and is dated 1619. The journey throughout history has been rough at times, once the whole factory floated away with the spring flood and it has burnt down completely on at least three occasions.